All of Meals on Wheels food is created in a 24,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art commissary. This commissary makes it possible to efficiently serve nearly 6,000 meals per day to homebound and mobile seniors.
The Meals on Wheels Commissary is:
- A $7.5 million facility, containing $2 million of modern cooking equipment to increase production capabilities and reduce costs.
- An efficient centralized meal production facility providing meals for Meals on Wheels and other nutrition programs in WNY, including nursing homes, food pantries and other nonprofit programs.
- A disaster-ready facility that has the ability to prepare meals for emergency personnel, shelters and warming centers, working in partnership with the American Red Cross and the Food Bank of WNY.
- A training facility for area college students enrolled in nutrition/hospitality/food service programs.
- A multifunctional center, containing a public space (Community Center) for educational seminars, community meetings and special events.
The state-of-the-art nature of the commissary makes it incredibly efficient for Meals on Wheels to produce meals for outside groups. Learn more about Meals on Wheels’ capacities here.