A new year is upon us! The opportunities and challenges of the weeks and months to come are a mystery, but something to keep in mind is that we have control over our reactions to these things and their effects on us. This is one of the most powerful truths to remember all year round.
Some ways to make 2018 your best year yet:
• Recognize the things around you that make you happy. Something as simple as the sun shining brightly on a winter day or squirrels playing in the tree outside your window is something to notice and appreciate.
• Practice gratitude regularly. An easy way to do this is to write down three things you are grateful for each day. This can remind you that even during your most difficult times, you have good in your life.
• Write down your goals. Research has shown again and again that by writing down your goals you are more likely to achieve them.
• Acknowledge all you have accomplished already. Make note of the things you have accomplished throughout your life. If you have a specific goal or resolution for the New Year, remember any progress you have already made towards it.
• Remember that what you focus on grows. Focus on the positive and you will experience more of it!
• Cultivate connections with others. In our technology-based world, it is easy to lose sight of the importance of quality, undistracted time with those most important to us. Studies show those with a strong social support system are healthier, happier and more resilient. Make time for those that matter to you whenever you can.
Here’s to a fantastic year ahead!