National Nutrition Month is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored every March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. The National Nutrition Month campaign for 2016 urges everyone to “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.” This year’s theme is meant to encourage us to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the great flavors and pleasures that food has to offer. Understanding how, when, why and where we eat are just as important to our overall healthy eating plan as what we eat.
In today’s busy world, we often eat quickly and mindlessly. Instead, try to eat slowly and savor the flavor of the food you are eating. Eating slowly not only allows you to enjoy your food, but it can also help you eat less by giving your stomach time to tell your brain that you are full. Mindful eating can help you reset both your body and your mind and lead to an overall healthier lifestyle. The next time you sit down to eat a meal remember to create a relaxing ambiance and be mindful so that you can learn to fully appreciate the pleasures, flavors, and textures of your food.
The goal of National Nutrition Month is to encourage people to take a closer look at their eating habits, enjoy healthy food, and enjoy the experience of eating with family and friends.
Mindful March Suggestions
- Clear your mind, take a deep breath. Relax. One of the most important things you can do in your life is learn to be in the moment. Mindfulness has been shown to reduce stress, improve overall health, and add quality and richness to one’s life.
- Light candles with every meal.
- Set aside a few evenings on your March calendar to share a meal with family and friends.
- Organize a pot-luck and invite your friends to bring their favorite dishes.
- Broaden your eating patterns by purchasing something you have never eaten before.
- With spring just around the corner, pay attention to the new fruits and vegetables you see when you take a slow walk around the produce department of your local grocery store or farmers market.
- See if you can finally get your hands on grandma’s secret recipe.
By following the guidelines outlined above and creating some of your own, you will be taking steps to “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.”